So, it's looking very much like the buttons are the only way to go with
this. Shame, but I already have a couple of custom buttons so its not
exactly a hardship, Id just rather be able to type as normal, save that
Tiddler and then immediately click on a link to a non-existent tiddler and
carry on. Oh well.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I have buttons already so Ill have
to keep going with them for now.

Regards

JK