On Saturday, July 31, 2021 at 2:58:05 AM UTC-7 e.arnol...@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm interested in using TW5 for my daily note taking. I very often takes
> notes with images. Sometimes the image is the only note.
> Picture taking should be well integrated.
> Are there plugins for quick picture taking?

Even without a plugin, it turns out that you can take a picture and store
it as a tiddler (assuming, of course, that you are using TiddlyWiki on a
device that has a camera; i.e., a phone or tablet.  For my test, I used a
Samsung Android phone.

1) Open your TiddlyWiki in the phone's browser (I used Chrome)
2) From the sidebar "Tools" tab, click on the "Import" button
3) The phone then prompts for you to select from: "Camera", "Camera
(camcorder)", or "Files"
4) I selected "Camera" and the device's camera interface started
5) I took a picture and the the device then prompted for "retry" or "ok"...
I selected "ok"
6) TiddlyWiki's standard $:/Import tiddler was displayed, listing one .jpg
file to import (with a very long number as the filename!)
7) Press the import button... a tiddler is created.

Note that this also works if you select "Camera (camcorder)" in step (3),
and it actually imports a video into the TiddlyWiki!

Of course, there are ways to streamline this process.  For example, you
could add the Tools "Import" button directly to the sidebar so it is more
readily available without having to select the "Tools" tab first.

I've also written a little (unpublished) plugin that defines an
$action-importfile widget that you can trigger from any $button, and
bypasses the $:/Import tiddler to directly create a tiddler with less
interactive steps.

How well would performance be with several hundred pictures?

Storing lots of large pictures within TiddlyWiki can slow things down quite
a bit (especially the file load time!).  Ideally, we'd want a way to take a
picture and store it externally without storing the image data directly in
a tiddler.  That should also be "do-able", but will probably require
another little plugin to make the process as streamlined as possible.

-e