All right. Here's what I did that made it work:

I wen to Tiddlywiki.com and downloaded a clean copy of Empty.html.

I went to Braintest (http://braintest.tiddlyspot.com/) and did the drop and
drag as instructed for three of the files:

   - $:/plugins/skeeve/newtiddler.js
   <http://braintest.tiddlyspot.com/#%24%3A%2Fplugins%2Fskeeve%2Fnewtiddler.js>

   - CSS-Table <http://braintest.tiddlyspot.com/#CSS-Table>

   - Editable-Table <http://braintest.tiddlyspot.com/#Editable-Table>

And Full, Danielo, and Dorothy. Just for good measure, I also grabbed
Inline Editable Tables so I would have the full documentation.
I then went to skeeve's Tiddlystuff (http://tiddlystuff.tiddlyspot.com/)
went to Selfmade Lists as Birthe suggested. There I downloaded the
$:/core/modules/filters/split.js
<http://tiddlystuff.tiddlyspot.com/#%24%3A%2Fcore%2Fmodules%2Ffilters%2Fsplit.js>

from the link at the bottom of the page. I saved the wiki and reloaded it
but there was no joy in mudville.

However, taking Skeeve at his word, (the tiddler says "split is not
compatible to TW 5.0.10 at the moment. Please find athe compatible source
here. I will fix it soon…") I copied the code in the textbox on that page
and replaced the code in $:/core/modules/filters/split.js
<http://tiddlystuff.tiddlyspot.com/#%24%3A%2Fcore%2Fmodules%2Ffilters%2Fsplit.js>.

Then saving and reloading, and suddenly I have functional inline editable
tables in TW5.0.13. Or at least Danielo's example works the way it says it
should.

I probably missed some intuitively obvious step that would have made the
entire exercise easier but I am satisfied that  I finally got the function
up and running more or less just as Cmari said it would.