Thanks Jan.  That's very helpful.

Okay, next question...

In principle, are you happy with using references to TW macros in the input
text?  For example:

<<xp>>

Which would generate the following in the output (i.e. when viewed in TW)

PETER

NOTE:  I said "in principle" and "using references".  I'm not proposing
that have to *type* them like that in the editor.  Also, don't get hung up
on my choice of macro name (<<xp>>) it could be <<anything>> - it's not
important right now.

One step at a time... :)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/cc91dc72-fb34-4bd4-8737-83e9a87b9b29%40googlegroups.com.