I've tried really hard to understand the point of the _canonical_uri.
Everything from the excessively verbose and technical field name to the
double-referencing seems to be designed to make linking images more
complicated and user unfriendly than it has to. Removing the text field
means you have to add your own description field to annotate the image.

About the only advantage is, if you have an image you use more than once,
you can quickly re-reference a new file name. But for note-taking, I almost
never repeat an image, and I imagine most other people don't either.

Now if the _canonical_uri had a way to switch it's base path address, that
would be a real plus.

Better than _canonical_uri is to use a macro where you can change the base
path address as you move from platform to platform.  Actually, if you put
Tobias' ximg macro in a tiddler, then you can transclude the tiddler just
like a _canonical_uri, but in addition be able to change the base path as
needed.

-- Mark

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/b1b0e257-253f-4efb-8194-f640ab182d34%40googlegroups.com.