TT,

I was thinking on this matter of unicode support, which could have
consequences both for and in the use of custom wikitext. In many ways
tiddlywiki "supports" Unicode, however for example no Unicode is usable in
fieldnames, yet it is in titles, text and field values etc... However there
is no reason we should not have a plugin and or a configuration option that
supports Unicode. Not withstanding the need for local fonts, for example,
windows covers most Unicode.

Now Unicode is a broad set and the large range of languages supported do
not necessarily need to be part of a standard distribution, somehow we need
to be both selective and try to be exhaustive or at least provide guidance.
If I were a speaker of another language I may already be using fonts in my
language and keyboards that support it.

To Support Unicode it would be good if we had the tools to;

   - Detect if extended Unicode is in use in content during import
   - Determine if Unicode is present in a given wiki (higher Unicode
   character search?)
   - Provide information on what people will see when there is a missing
   font and how to remedy it
   - Perhaps a plugin that once active provides a subset of Unicode
   support, and if not so does not. basically designers or users will need to
   opt in to the more extensive Unicode, and on visiting a tiddlywiki we can
   see if the author has chosen to support extended Unicode.

In may ways these activities are future issues being given strategic
consideration today, along with the conscious decision to use "special
characters" in the customise text solution.

Why do I care?

   - As a designer or author access to extended character sets offers
   substantial potential.
   - TiddlyWiki is a master in knowledge and information storage and will
   benefit from robust support.
   - As Unicode use grows TiddlyWiki can be a leader in its use.
   - There are some nice innovations and self documentation features that
   can come from extended characters, in effect namespaces and more.

So perhaps we now need to ask

   - How do we go about a degree of rationalisation
   - code pages English + Extended Symbols and utilities eg mathematical
   alphanumeric's
   - font recommendations
   - Multi-Platform support

TT What do you perceive should be included?.

Regards
TonyM