On 4/18/11 2:51 PM, Brian Hinz wrote:
> Glad you had a chance to look at it.  I've actually made a ton of fixes
> over the last two weeks or so.  I found that there is some sort of bug
> in IndexColorModel that causes the vncviewer fits with 8bpp color maps.
>  It only occurs with JRE < 1.6.  Ultimately I just switched it to an
> 8bpp DirectColorModel because I could find no other working solution.
>  It doesn't look as nice, but for the sake of compatibility it was
> necessary.  I left all the colormap code in, hopefully there's a fix
> that I just overlooked.  I need to export all of those changes from our
> intranet repo at work and sync them with my internet repository.  If
> there's enough interest, can we create a branch in the tigervnc repo?

I see no problem with setting you loose on the trunk.

> I've actually been wondering about Hextile versus Tight.  I found some
> old benchmarks, but has a rigorous comparison been done recently?  Under
> what circumstances is one better than the other?  I'm sure it's the
> implementation, but so far, all of my users agree that (at least with
> this client) hextile seems to perform better than tight.  We're all on
> GbE fiber so it's a little hard to quantify, the redraw time just seem a
> little faster...

GbE fibre is the key there.  Hextile is a bandwidth hog-- it absolutely
requires GbE, and it's been my experience that it is ridiculously
latency-sensitive as well, to the point that even 0.2 ms will affect it.
 This is because it is sending such small tiles (16x16.)  Tight uses
larger tiles and thus is more efficient in terms of network usage.
Tight is inarguably faster when you use the accelerated JPEG
implementation in the TigerVNC C++ code.  However, the lack of
accelerated JPEG decoding in the Java viewer means that the advantage
may be less clear on gigabit networks.

I would say that the users that use TigerVNC over gigabit are in the
minority.  I imagine that most people use it over 100 Megabit or slower,
in which case Tight is definitely going to be the better choice.