Well, Marc, I fully agree.  But, that won't happen until academia stops
"selling," "promoting," and "advertising" a higher education simply as white
collar vo-tech, higher paying job, credentialing.

Make it a good day

-Louis-

Louis Schmier
http://www.therandomthoughts.edublogs.org<http://www.therandomthoughts.edublogs.org/>
Department of History
http://www.therandomthoughts.com<http://www.therandomthoughts.com/>
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, Georgia 31698                     /\   /\  /\                 /\
/\
(O)  229-333-5947                            /^\\/  \/   \   /\/\__   /   \  /
 \
(C)  229-630-0821                           /     \/   \_ \/ /   \/ /\/  /  \
 /\  \
                                                    //\/\/ /\    \__/__/_/\_\/
  \_/__\  \
                                              /\"If you want to climb
mountains,\ /\
                                          _ /  \    don't practice on mole
hills" - /   \_

On Nov 5, 2011, at 9:51 AM, Marc Carter wrote:

I find it sad that so many students pursue a business degree thinking of big
bucks when in fact the majority of them are going to wind up as office drones
in a gray cubicle and making a merely decent living.  Doing science is hard,
but it's *interesting*, and studying it leads to some of the more high-paying
jobs we have (they are, of course, outside the academy).

I wish that we could get more students to realize that life isn't about money.

But in contemporary America, the only values appear to be monetary.  I despair
sometimes…

Marc Carter, PhD
Associate Professor of Psychology
Chair, Department of Behavioral and Health Sciences
College of Arts & Sciences
Baker University