Annette,

Your post made me think about an episode I had been thinking about putting
together on this topic of attracting students to science vs. the challenge of
actually doing real science.  When I taught Research Methods and Statistics for
psych majors, a colleague who had a very different teaching style taught it
along with me.  He was quite, shall we say demanding and I wanted the students
to enjoy the topic.  As a result, I would guess that his students probably came
out of the course having learned more, but I think mine came out of the course
with a more positive attitude toward research and stats.  In other words, his
students might have done better on Bloom's cognitive domains, but mine would
have come out higher on Bloom's affective domains.  Which approach is "better"?

I agree that actual science is hard.  There's no way to water down how complex
a repeated measures of anova is to carry out and analyze.  I would argue that
when it's your study and your idea and your hypothesis, then you'll put in the
time to figure out how to calculate those complicated stats, but you first have
to have a positive attitude and you have to value the scientific method.

Michael

Michael A. Britt, Ph.D.
mich...@thepsychfiles.com
http://www.ThePsychFiles.com
Twitter: mbritt

On Nov 4, 2011, at 3:08 PM, Annette Taylor wrote:

> I get a sense from this article and my own experience that in an effort to
> hook students, the middle and high schools water down their programs. Then
> when faced with real science in college it's a big whoopsie  with the
> professor taking the brunt of the students' anger at the disillusionment.
> Maybe the hooking needs to take place in elementary school, and real science
> education in middle and high school. Oh well, my speculation won't make a
> whit of difference.
>
> Annette
>
> Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone
> Mike Palij wrote:
> ---
>
> You are currently subscribed to tips as: michael.br...@thepsychfiles.com.
>
> To unsubscribe click here:
> http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13405.0125141592fa9ededc665c55d9958f69&n=T&l=tips&o=13890
>
> (It may be necessary to cut and paste the above URL if the line is broken)
>
> or send a blank email to
> leave-13890-13405.0125141592fa9ededc665c55d9958...@fsulist.frostburg.edu
>

> An article in the NY Times today reviews how the U.S. is losing
> their science majors once they are IN college.  The article is available
> here:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/education/edlife/why-science-majors-change-their-mind-its-just-so-darn-hard.html?google_editors_picks=true
>
> Some key points:
>
> (1)  The focus here is on students with strong STEM backgrounds.
>
> (2)  Science majors at big research institutions are more likely to
> drop out of the science major relative to other less prestigious
> institutions..
>
> (3)  As some of the comments to the article point out, people
> with STEM majors and graduate study still have a hard time
> getting jobs, especially ones that pay well.
>
> (4) For purposes of this article, psychology is NOT a science
> (indeed, there is a case presented of a student with a strong
> background in math, was an engineering major at Notre Dame
> and switched to a double-major in English and psychology --
> he plans on becoming a clinical psychologist).
>
> By the way, I believe the APA and other organizations were trying
> to get psychology recognized as a STEM discipline.  Anyone know
> how that is going?
>
> -Mike Palij
> New York University
> m...@nyu.eud

> [...]