Although not directly on-topic, You might have a look at this
droll-yet-horrifying essay by Phil Greenspun. He argues that the reason
there are so few women in science is that they are often able to see,
long before their male peers, just how grim the prospects for a career
in science are. It's not just that the likely income is much lower than
for other with equivalent education. It is that one works for so many
years for amost nothing before one actually gets started.

http://philip.greenspun.com/careers/women-in-science

(Caveat: I do not necessarily agree completely with every word of each
thing I repost. I repost them because I think they are interesting to
think about.)

Chris
--

Christopher D. Green
Department of Psychology

416-736-2100 ex. 66164
chri...@yorku.ca
http://www.yorku.ca/christo/

==========================

On 11/4/11 10:48 PM, Annette Taylor wrote:

> You make it sound so grim; in reality, most of the science, tech and
> engineering jobs pay better right out of college with a BA or BS
> degree, than many other non-STEM jobs pay with years of additional
> schooling. My (soon to ex-) daughter-in-law is making as money this
> year as a first year grad in chemical engineering, as I am making 20+
> years in my job with a PhD. Granted she was in an extremely
> challenging program and had to work her buns off for a BS degree, but
> it is still many fewer years of education and no dissertation. AND she
> finds her work interesting, fascinating and rewarding.
> Annette
> Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
> Professor, Psychological Sciences
> University of San Diego