On Thu, 4 Apr 2013, Rick Froman went:

Actually, the whole study with the online survey methodology, the
small sample size and the questionable interpretation reminds me of
studies done by my Research Methods undergrad students but at least
they would have calculated the chi square results and not made
anything out of a non-significant result.

Yes!  Most of the sources refer to the investigator as a
"Ph.D. candidate."  I DISAGREE.  :)

Well, OK, in one of the stories, the investigator cautions that the
study is "qualitative, not quantitative"
<http://psychcentral.com/news/2013/04/04/do-men-yearn-for-children-more-than-women/53416.html>.
In fact, the title of his poster is "The Experiences of Involuntarily
Childless Men as They Age."  Nice and phenomenological.  But he's
allowed his institution to summarize his work with a big batch of
quasi-inferential "XX percent versus XY percent" statements.

So what we have here is a failure of quality control at every stage of
dissemination.

--David Epstein
  da...@neverdave.com

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=24759