It appears the word, “broody” is commonplace in the British form of English
(and evidently in biological studies of broodiness) but I don’t recall ever
having heard it used in the US. At first, before looking it up, I assumed it
was another way of saying, “moody”. I wonder if it is partly a cultural
difference in that referring to someone as “broody” especially someone who was
not, or was no longer, capable of having children, would seem very unPC or
maybe even quite rude and, at the least, no one else’s business (especially,
possibly “broody” grandparents inquiring about when they might expect a
grandchild).

As to the snowball technique, it is quite common in qualitative studies where
the “representativeness” of the sample is irrelevant (and it is very difficult
to find many participants so you rely on the few you find recruiting their own
friends. Qualitative research has no concept of a larger population of which
this sample is a representative microcosm.  All that matters is that you
correctly communicate the experience of those that end up in your sample.
Thinking that such a sample could serve as well for the quantitative research,
which has entirely different assumptions, seems to indicate that they are
really just using the “its just qualitative” fall-back when their quantitative
data is questioned.

Rick

Dr. Rick Froman, Chair
Division of Humanities and Social Sciences
Professor of Psychology
Box 3519
John Brown University
2000 W. University Siloam Springs, AR  72761
rfro...@jbu.edu<mailto:rfro...@jbu.edu>
(479) 524-7295
http://bit.ly/DrFroman