I used this example in class today because part of my introduction to stats involves examples of why statistics makes you think better. It went reasonably well. I quickly made up a 2x2 chi-square example using the depression frequencies reported in the article. I also made a link to the article in the Blackboard site for the course. Although we haven't covered chi-square yet, I think the example is simple enough that students can grasp the logic. Here is a link to the spreadsheet. I like Excel for examples because I can change data vales and immediately present what happens to the statistics when the change is made. I did the spreadsheet quickly and I hope there are no errors.

http://www.learnpsychology.com/Men_Woman_ChildDepression_Example.xlsx

Mike Williams

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=24815
or send a blank email to