Hi

How can there be more depressed males (8) in the subset than in the full set
(6)?

Jim

James M. Clark
Professor & Chair of Psychology
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca
Room 4L41A
204-786-9757
204-774-4134 Fax
Dept of Psychology, U of Winnipeg
515 Portage Ave, Winnipeg, MB
R3B 0R4  CANADA

>>> Mike Wiliams <jmicha5...@aol.com> 07-Apr-13 12:09 AM >>>
I updated the spreadsheet.  It now includes an analysis for both samples.

Mike Williams

On 4/7/13 1:00 AM, Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS) digest
wrote:
> Subject: RE:"Childlessness hits men the hardest" (n = 16)
> From: David Epstein<da...@neverdave.com>
> Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 12:58:25 -0400 (EDT)
>
> On Sat, 6 Apr 2013, Mike Wiliams went:
>
>> >  I did the spreadsheet quickly and I hope
>> >  there are no errors.
>> >
>> >  http://www.learnpsychology.com/Men_Woman_ChildDepression_Example.xlsx
> It's a little less bad (less bad than the p = .57 on your spreadsheet)
> when you use the author's denominator, which is the subset of people
> who had actually wanted to have children: 67 out of 108.  The numbers
> are then:
>
>                     male   female
> depression           8       14     22
> no depression        8       37     45
>                       16       51     67
>
> And the p value is .09, two-tailed.
>
> But that's by far the biggest "difference" of the half dozen
> differences he reports.
>
> --David Epstein
>     da...@neverdave.com

---