From: rfro...@jbu.edu [mailto:rfro...@jbu.edu]
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2013 5:52 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: RE: [tips] Google autocomplete & psychology

I think Google autocomplete is fairly unreplicable in many cases. I don't doubt
that putting "women should" into a Google search in Dubai might turn up those
suggestions (the UN ad agency was in Dubai), but I wasn't able to replicate it
here.

I don't begrudge someone advertising for a good cause to use a current trend
like Google autocomplete to make a dramatic ad that makes a good point but I
don't think it is a sociological IAT (or even a Rorschach). When I put in
"women", mine says:

women seeking men

women of faith

women living well

women of the bible

When you put in "women should", it starts to go negative. And what would you
expect? What sentence that starts out saying that a whole class of humanity
"should" or "shouldn't" do anything is going to end well?

There was an interesting non-disclaimer disclaimer in the Guardian article:
"The world as seen through the lens of autocomplete is a weird and not always
wonderful place. It's a place where David Cameron "is a lizard", Obama is "a
Muslim", Putin is a "badass" and Miley Cyrus, predictably, is "still twerking".
But despite the suggestions that have been skewed by a popular blogpost or meme
and are clearly bonkers, there is still much to be gleaned from them about our
deep-seated discriminations." Really? Much to be gleaned? I doubt it.

For "psychology is", I got

psychology is

psychology is defined as

psychology is the study of

psychology is best defined as

psychology is not a science

Certainly there are some people who don't believe it is a science but I don't
think 1/4 autocomplete recommendations is very disheartening. I would think
someone was tampering with it if there was nothing negative at all.

Rick

Dr. Rick Froman, Chair

Division of Humanities and Social Sciences

Professor of Psychology

Box 3519

John Brown University

2000 W. University Siloam Springs, AR  72761

rfro...@jbu.edu<mailto:rfro...@jbu.edu>

(479) 524-7295

http://bit.ly/DrFroman

"The LORD detests both Type I and Type II errors." Proverbs 17:15