Hi Miguel:

Few people understand that one reason that people have so much difficulty with
the term ‘reflex’ is that there are several definitions of the term in use.
Most people seem to be using Marshall Hall’s definition (unconscious,
unlearned, involuntary behavior).

I recommend Skinner (1931) ‘The concept of the reflex in the description of
behavior’ J. Gen. Psych., 5, 427-458, to help unravel some of these uses.  Read
his summary for the Cliff Notes version of the history.  (There are other
histories, too.)

Back to your original question, the quote makes no sense.  If someone has a
dysfunctional swallowing reflex then putting food into that person’s mouth is
the worst thing you can do.  The likely outcome is that the person will
aspirate the food or liquid and choke.

Ken

Kenneth M. Steele, Ph.D.                  steel...@appstate.edu
<mailto:steel...@appstate.edu>
Professor
Department of Psychology          http://www.psych.appstate.edu
<http://www.psych.appstate.edu/>
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608
USA

> On Oct 7, 2018, at 9:39 AM, Miguel Roig <ro...@stjohns.edu> wrote:
>
> Good morning, here is question for your: I was reading this article on the
> lack of coverage of dementia situations in advance directives,
> https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/30/well/live/an-advance-directive-for-patients-with-dementia.html
>  (an interesting read in its own right) when I came upon the following quote:
>  “People should at least understand what the normal process of advanced
> dementia is about,” Dr. Schwarz said. “Feeding tubes are not the issue —
> they’re not done when dementia is terminal. Instead, a caregiver will stand
> patiently at the bedside and spoon food into your mouth as long as you open
> it. Opening your mouth when a spoon approaches is a primitive reflex that
> persists long after you’ve lost the ability to swallow and know what to do
> with what’s put in your mouth.”  My question: Is Schwarz referring to the
> rooting reflex? If so, isn't touching the cheek necessary for the reflex to
> be triggered and, if that is the case then, isn't what he is describing a
> learned behavior, even if its strength lies in it being grounded on an
> earlier reflex or something to that effect?  I would appreciate any
> clarification on this.
>
> And now a comment or, really, a heads-up that is unrelated to the above
> question and perhaps not even real news to most of us: It concerns an article
> and a documentary about the high price of academic publishing. The article by
> Richard Smith, former editor of the BMJ is freely available from the latest
> issue of the Lancet, though you need to register to get it,
> https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(18)32353-5/fulltext.
>  The article is based, in part on the documentary "Paywall". The video is
> over an hour long, but just the first 10 minutes will likely outrage even
> those who are already aware of the current state of academic publishing. You
> can check it out for free at: https://paywallthemovie.com/.
>
> Miguel
>
> This email may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged material
> for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, distribution
> or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
> recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the
> sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to tips as: steel...@appstate.edu.
> To unsubscribe click here:
> http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13524.94845a3ed9806f1cef14973830dd8c39&n=T&l=tips&o=52866