From: Joan Warmbold Boggs [jwarm...@oakton.edu]
Sent: Sunday, October 7, 2018 5:45 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] A question and a comment

I define a reflex as an inborn response to certain stimuli--and then
immediately give examples of such.  I then explain that these "inborn
response-stimulus associations" all serve some type of survival mechanism so
became wired into our nervous system.

Only after 35 years of teaching have I begun to describe classical conditioning
as the "acquisition of a new stimulus--response association." This is the most
accurate definition as clearly a new reflex has not been learned but, instead,
an inborn reflex has been conditioned to be elicited by a new stimulus event.

I developed a new class exercise to accommodate this new definition and
attached a copy for those who might be interested. If it doesn't come through,
feel free to ask for a copy--and feedback always welcomed.

Joan