Hi Miguel:

This reply is not to beat on a colleague who has hit the sacred 3 post limit
(two is too little, but four is too much).  But I will note that Pavlov spent
much of his time/space in Lecture I (Pavlov, 1927) arguing against the
distinction between reflexes (as simple rigid behavior patterns) and instincts
(defined by James and McDougall as more complex, flexible behavior patterns ).
Pavlov’s solution was that the term “reflex” covered all such instances of
rule-governed behavior.  My favorite example is Pavlov’s description of a dog
showing a “freedom reflex” in Lecture I.

Again, I am not saying that Pavlov has the correct solution but I am noting
that textbook descriptions of the term reflex contradict both Pavlov and
Skinner’s definition of the term, which I find to be an odd situation.  I would
be fine if textbook writers said to heck with Pavlov and Skinner’s definitions,
I am going with Marshall Hall on this issue.  But most don’t seem aware of this
issue.

(My cerebrum has chosen voluntarily to suppress my spinal cord activity and
send you) Best regards,

Ken

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=52871
or send a blank email to