Hi Miguel:

But here are some of the conundrums that you encounter with following the
Marshall Hall pathway.

If a reflex is a simple, unlearned response to a stimulus then why do we talk
about conditioned reflexes as learned responses to a stimulus?  Is a reflex
unlearned or learned?

This position leads to the proposition that there are two kinds of reflexes:
learned and unlearned.  Which leads to several questions.  Isn’t a learned
reflex an oxymoron? How do you discriminate between the two type of reflexes?
How do you know that your unlearned reflex isn’t really a learned reflex, since
you can’t see the history of its development?  (This issue was a favorite of
the American Functionalists - the TC Schneirla crowd.)

I see learning textbooks (and students) trap themselves in contradictory
statements, leaving everybody confused.  I can point to specific paragraphs in
learning textbooks which define a reflex as unlearned and then in the next
sentence define a conditioned reflex as learned.  It is no wonder that students
find classical conditioning as a confusing topic.

You are correct that Hall’s definition is the most popular.  I send grad
students on a hunt through their subfields to find the most common  definition
of a reflex and the Hall definition is the most popular, although Marshall Hall
is almost unknown as a name in psychology. I am not saying that Skinner’s
solution is the best but that textbooks have left students (and a bunch of
faculty) feeling very confused.

I am glad that you were able to find the article.  Google can be so helpful at
times.

Best regards,

Ken

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=52869