Thanks MZ, it is a brand new series 2 (build date April 25, 2009). The 
TiVo shipped with version 7.2 (it was ordered directly from TiVo through 
the tivo.com web site). It seems rather strange that they are shipping 
the box with old code and then doing the upgrade. I have a second Access 
Point so I created a non encrypted wireless network with firewall rules 
that did not let it access my internal network. After I forced a few 
downloads I got a message that I couldn't force a connection until a 
software update at 2AM completed. When that happened I did a system 
restart which forced the software update. It is now running version 9.3 
which did allow me to configure WPA and WPA2.

        I've been trying to get both tuners to work but it looks like Verizon's 
FIOS requires a STB so I can only use one of the tuners. I'll keep 
playing and see what I can do.

                                Ken G.

MegaZone wrote:
>  
> 
> Once upon a time Ken Gunther shaped the electrons to say...
>  > I just got a new TiVo (my third) and I have some questions about
>  > wireless. Although the TiVo wireless adapter is supposed to do WPA I see
>  > no settings anywhere for WPA. The only wireless settings I see are for
>  > WEP. Some of the forums talk about WPA and say that the adapter is
>  > capable of WPA PSK with AES but I cannot find the settings. Am I doing
>  > something foolish.
> 
> The TiVo adapter definitely supports WPA/WPA2 - I use it with WPA2 PSK
> with AES. But the TiVo does need to have a sufficient software
> revision to enable the WPA support.
> 
>  > The forums talk about needing the proper software level but they were
>  > saying that in 2007, I would assume that a TiVo that I just bought would
>  > have the proper software level.
> 
> Never assume. :-) What model TiVo did you acquire and what software
> revision is currently on it? If it has been sitting in stock long
> enough it is possible it still has a pre-WPA revision on it. You need
> software revision 8.1 or later for WPA support. 8.1 dropped in
> November, 2006. If your unit was manufactured before then it probably
> has an older revision unless it was previously in service - I believe
> there is a sticker on the back with the build date.
> 
> I know some of the 3rd party pre-expanded TiVos and drives out there
> still use 7.2 or the like for the image, for some reason. I ran into
> that when I replaced the drive in my Pioneer DVR-810H some time back.
> I had to temporarily use WEP just to make the setup connections and
> then the calls to get an upgrade to a newer version.
> 
> -MZ
> -- 

Reply via email to