Once upon a time sej357 shaped the electrons to say...
> Hi. I'm a new member. Digital background. Have been using a DVR
> since late 2000 most of the time with Tivo. Went Series 3 when I Got
> HDTV 11/08. It died about 6 months ago and I replaced with HDXL. I
> have WD 500GB ESATA drive attached.

So 1.5TB, that's a lot of space.

> The Tivo freezes a lot; often several times during recording. Also
> the interface sometimes lags and then several remote actions execute
> in succession.

That sounds very much like a dying drive.  Can't be certain which one
though.  You could remove the external drive and see if the problems
go away - but you'll lose any recordings that have any data on that
drive.  If the problem goes away you know it was the external drive,
if it remains then the issue is likely the internal drive.

Oh - and first make sure the unit isn't overheating.  It should be in
a well ventilated area, etc.

> I am trying to backup some recordings to my computer with Tivo
> desktop prior to to disconnecting the external and probably
> restoring the unit to see if it corrects.
>
> I know how to do it; I transferred several already onto two
> different PC on my ethernet network. Now I get the same message when
> I try to transfer to either PC "The system cannot find the file
> specified"

One of the setting screens in TiVo Desktop gives you the ability to
flush all of its cache, etc - do so.  Sometimes it gets into a borked
state and sticks there because it keeps using the same broken cached
data.  I've manually deleted all the cached files from the TD
directory to accomplish the same thing.

-MZ
-- 
megazone-at-megazone.org  http://www.MegaZone.org/   Gweep, Geek, Human, me.
http://www.GizmoLovers.com/ http://www.Eyrie-Productions.com/ -><- Hail Eris
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-852-2171

Reply via email to