Hi Patti,

We went to DC in Jan for my father-in-laws funeral at Arlington Natnl. Cemetery and decided it was now or never to show the kids DC. What ever your needs are I encourage you to take this tour bus: http://www.tourmobile.com/disability.php and not the other ones. I believe it cost us $32 per adult a day and we could get on and off at will. I am walking wounded and would have been in agony if I had to walk from monument to monument. I gave you the disability page so you can discuss your needs with them. this is the only tour that has Natln. park service affiliation (and the monuments are a natnl. park) and be happy there are accommodations at all the monuments to allow full access regardless of your level of ability. So enjoy yourself and wear an Obama button (the workers will be friendlier)

Mindy the Artist

Jeanne
What a story! You couldn't make that up if you tried and I think it's better (or worse) than anything I've seen on "House". Your miracle is that you lived long enough to get to the right hospital and that they started you on steroids. Thanks for sharing the details.

You brought up the subject of maneuverability and I need help dealing with it.

I decided it was time to go to Washington DC - a long-time desire of my hubby and myself. I always use a cane and have a wheelchair that I loaned out a year ago, but could get back. I quit wearing my AFO after two years because my feet burn and I prefer to wear shoes that I can take off every time I sit down (even in public.) I looked pitiful sitting with my brace beside me letting my feet breathe. So, I will need to use a walker and/or be pushed in a wheelchair in Washington and am concerned about my hubby lifting the chair in and out of our car. I have looked at 3 wheeled walkers that would be easier to maneuver in crowds, 4 wheeled walkers of all kinds, a 4 wheeled that turns into a transport chair ($400), and just a simple transport chair itself A transport chair is a wheelchair for being pushed in, with (4) ten-inch wheels instead of the large wheels on the back for self-maneuvering. The transport chair ! is about 12 lbs. lighter than my wheelchair and would be easier to get into my small car. The 4 wheeled walker that turns into a wheelchair is $400 on-line. A transport wheelchair is $200 at Walmart. I can buy a 3-wheeled or a 4- wheeled walker for $50 each on Craigslist. What would YOU take to Washington DC? What will I need?
How will I feel using one for the first time?

I DON'T want to have to use any of them!  I'm ANGRY!

Patti - Michigan

Need a job? Find employment help in your area.