What a very special note, Mindy...Thank you for sharing with us..Jeanne

-------Original Message-------

From: Lawrence King
Date: 3/25/2009 7:27:14 PM
To: tmic-list@eskimo.com
Cc: Lawrence King
Subject: Re: [TMIC] stem cell (OT?)

tAs a mother who conceived (the natural way) 6 times but only gave birth to
2 live infants I feel qualified to remind the greater community that every
successful conception does not equal a child born even in natural
circumstances, much less conceptions that occur in a dish.

I mourned each one of those miscarriages as a child lost even after my 2nd
child was born and I knew in my heart that my family was complete and that I
was done with the baby stage of my life.   My experience also led me to the
conclusion that a life that cannot survive outside the mother is not
entitled to citizenship rights equal to that of the mother until it is
mature enough to survive once the umbilical cord is cut (or has turned 18,
which ever comes first).

When I got my drivers license I asked for an organ donor sticker and
informed my parents of my wishes in the event of my death.
As a parent I could be called upon to make a similar decision should a child
of mine suffer a life ending tragedy...  that the purpose of his or her
short life can take on new meaning by giving life to others.

whether you consider them blastocysts or babies, the couples who conceived
them have already made the decision that they will never be born and have a
meaningful purpose outside the petri dish.  I truly believe the "parents"
should have the right to decide the fate regarding the use of their unused
fertilized egg's stem cells as well.

Just as Jehovah's Witnesses refuse blood transfusions on the basis of their
beliefs, each one of us has the right to refuse any treatment we are
uncomfortable with.  but as for me, I donate blood (4 gallons),  gave a
sample to the bone marrow registry and if Dr. Kerr can use my middle aged
eggs to heal others then he is welcome to them.

Mindy the Artist

The problem I have with defining "life" as Gunny has as not beginning until
28 days after conception (the joining of the male sperm and the female egg)
is that once conception occurs the zygote contains all of the genetic
information (DNA) necessary to become a child. Half of the genetic
information comes from the mother’s egg and half from the father’s sperm.
The zygot continues to divide, creating an inner group of cells with an
outer shell. This stage is called a blastocyst. The inner group of cells
will become the embryo, while the outer group of cells will become the
membranes that nourish and protect it.

To me it makes sense the "life" begins at conception, as a single cell
zygote, since at that point it contains everything to make a unique,
individual and continues to divide on it's own. It happens without "brain".

Embryonic stem cell come from the blastocyst stage 4–5 days post
fertilization, at which time they consist of 50–150 cells.

Every biology reference I have found talks about the beginning of life being
the union of the two gametes, the male and female reproductive cells of any
species.

Jim

I suggest reading, Declaration On The Production And The Scientific And
Therapeutic Use Of Human Embryonic Stem Cells
http://www.vatican
va/roman_curia/pontifical_academies/acdlife/documents/rc_pa_acdlife_doc_20000
24_cellule-staminali_en.html