  From: Jim Lubin
  To: Lawrence King ; tmic-list@eskimo.com
  Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 10:27 PM
  Subject: Re: [TMIC] stem cell (OT?)

  I know I am in the minority in my believes, but I do not believe in IVF that
creates embryos to begin with. If these embryos were not being created to then
there would be no so called "leftover" embryos.

  Are you aware that President Obama signed H.R. 1105, the "Omnibus
Appropriations Act, 2009," on March 11th (2 days after signing the executive
order to lift the ban on federal funding of embryonic stem cells) that
contained the following:

  The text of Section 509 of the Omnibus Appropriations Act, 2009, reads as
follows:

  SEC. 509. (a) None of the funds made available in this Act may be used
forĀ­(1) the creation of a human embryo or embryos for research purposes; or (2)
research in which a human embryo or embryos are destroyed, discarded, or
knowingly subjected to risk of injury or death greater than that allowed for
research on fetuses in utero under 45 CFR 46.204(b) and section 498(b) of the
Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 289g(b)). (b) For purposes of this
section, the term ''human embryo or embryos'' includes any organism, not
protected as a human subject under 45 CFR 46 as of the date of the enactment of
this Act, that is derived by fertilization, parthenogenesis, cloning, or any
other means from one or more human gametes or human diploid cells.

  Guess he should have READ the "Omnibus Appropriations Act, 2009 before
signing it into law...

  I followed the link on
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/FY2009OmnibusAppropriationsActPu
blicReview/
  to see if it was true, sure enough, it's in there

  http://appropriations.house.gov/pdf/2009_Con_Bill_DivF.pdf

  If you want to read it yourself, pg 128, lines 9 - 24. there are 2 pages
inserted so it is page 130 of the pdf.