Heather & Barbara,I use a chair in the shower. I do not feel safe standing
in a shower..  My therapist also
recommended wearing ankle weights around the house. They definitely make you
aware of where your feet are most of the time. She has used the word
propreoception many times and I asked her can you improve on it.  She said
yes, but it's a very, very slow process and she wasn't sure about my
improvement.  I use a walker, I am a lector (reader) at church and I can
hold onto the lectern for balance. I'm so sorry Barbara you had to quit
singing. When I go out with friends I use a cane. As long as I have
someone's arm to hold onto I can do o.k. but I
am waiting for the day that all I need is a cane....
Take care!
Trudy (in rainy damp Virginia.... which is not helping my legs today!)

P.S. Gunny, thanks for replying I would have been trying to remember that
name all day!