Proprepception........yep, that is the word the therapist used with me too.
However, I had the hardest time trying to figure out what she meant.  I could
not figure out where my feet were unless I was looking at them or they had a
mirror in front of me and I was trying to move one foot then the other.  I
could see them then.  However, when they took the mirror away I was again
'lost'.

My therapist tried to explain it this way.

She sat in front of me and put her arm out behind her back at shoulder height.
She said as she moved it up and down that the message that went from the arm to
the brain and back to the arm was instantaneous. That is why when she couldn't
even see her arm her brain knew where it was in space and what it was doing.

However, with my legs the message that goes from the foot up the leg and then
the spinal cord to the brain was interrupted because of the damage to the
nerves in the spinal cord.

That made sense the day she told me and I used it to try and keep focused when
I was trying to get my feet to move.  Not sure how it worked but eventually I
got the feet to work.  However, the messages still get mixed as my feet or toes
legs bump into things and stub themselves and fall over things when I don't
lift the feet high enough.  So the messages are still garbuled 5 1/2 years
later.

Some of the message gets there but uses different pathways I guess.
My simplistic way of understanding these things.

 I remember sitting in the car in a grocery store parking lot.  Hubby had gone
in and I sat there watching men, women, children even a little dog walking and
trying to figure out how the heck they knew where their next step was going to
land when I couldn't do that.  It was very frustrating.

Heather in Calgary (snow has stopped but it is very chilly & dull)