  From: j ra
  To: Transverse Myelytis
  Sent: Friday, May 21, 2010 3:23 PM
  Subject: RE: [TMIC] alive

  Hey everybody,
  When I started this post, I sure as hell wasn't expecting the can of worms
that I opened up! I got what you all said about me being selfish and trying to
go it alone....pushing my wife away and all that. When I came to the Caribbean
it was for two reasons. 1. I needed to learn to deal with this thing of ours
called TM, but away from everyone who knows me. I did this because I wanted to
see myself in the mirror again and not the person that everyone feels sorry for
because I have TM. So I moved here for a litttle while just to get some "me"
time. I am not pushing my loved ones away, like most of you thought. Truth be
told, my wife fully understands why I wanted to be alone. 2. I am trying to
relive my past. I am trying to push myself to do the things I loved to do even
though I have TM. I know there is no way anyone of my loved ones are approving
of this and are all worried about me going off into the deep blue sea or
jumping out of a plane like I used to, so it's better if I do it when they
can't see me do it and all be worried.
  So today was my first dive in years and for the first time since I had TM, I
forgot all about it. My legs didn't hurt, my back was like brand new and it was
amazing. Of course I got a little help from a 6 knot current to do most of the
work under water for me (it's called a drift dive), but it was amazing. I did
it! Adrenaline pumped through me for 32 amazing minutes and I felt alive again.
I'm in all craploads of pain right now, but it was so worth it.
  Next stop, zip-lining in St. Lucia and Sky diving in Martinique. I know I'm
in for some serious pain, but I think I'm slowly remembering the good days. My
goal is to remember those days and replace the bad days. I called my wife and
told her I loved her and she said she was proud of me for taking the step to
regaining some control of my life.
  So, now.....It feels great to be in pain....this time it was worth it.
  Thanks everyone for all the emails and all the support. I love you guys very
much....you are my family!
  Jeron

  Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft’s powerful SPAM protection. Sign up
now.