From: Akua [mailto:a...@artfarm.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 19, 2010 9:06 PM
To: tmic-list@eskimo.com
Subject: [TMIC] What's in a name (Diagnosis)

Here in the U.S., if I had MS, i would have had REAL help: therapy,
infrastructure, assistance, a drug course, transportation, LOTS AND LOTS of
things that I did not get and do not have.

As soon as they deteremined that what I had was NOT MS -- this was at Strong
Hospital--

A whole level of attention and assistance was dropped like a hot potato.
They didn't know about TM but they knew about MS. So basically nothing
happened for me. I was warehoused for months

and fought for every little bit that was done, which in retrospect was
shockingly little eg. no water therapy, very little exercise, my leg
machines discontinued....

So diagnosis is critical to treatment in my experience.

Akua

Hi Dalton,

I don't disagree with what you are saying, however it depends upon how far
down the line you are. I think we all need that diagnosis, we need to know
what has gone wrong, we need a label. It takes a long time to accept what's
done is doneŠŠŠwhen we have got there you're right, the label/diagnosis
becomes irrelevant. Until we get there , well there's some comfort in a
label . After all, without that label /diagnosis  none of us would be here
sharing our experiences on the web.

Steve (one of 300 of the population of the uk diagnosed in a year, we are a
rare breed my gp has never seen a tm before)

  _____