Costin Manolache wrote:
Henri Gomez wrote:

To follow a Packaged approach, ie using rpm/deb, tc5/tc4.1 should
have its own jars and dependencies on externals jar (logging, mx4j.).

With this way it's easy to maintain a tomcat version with up to date
externals jars (assuming they are backward compatible).

Yes - but we'll have to take it with their projects ( jakarta-commons
mostly, also struts, etc ). For mx4j it's a bit more complicated - IMHO all external .jars should be in an apache-wide repository and approved by somone who can check all details.

I don't think it's a good idea for every project to distribute jars for
all other projects. We'll still have to publish a list with the dep. version numbers of the "stable" release.

That's why the idea of using a repository of jars is a good idea :

/usr/share/java/log4j-1.1.3.jar
/usr/share/java/log4j-1.2.7.jar
/usr/share/java/log4j-1.2.8.jar
/usr/share/java/log4j.jar -> log4-1.2.8.jar

/usr/share/java/mx4j-jmx-1.1.1.jar
/usr/share/java/mx4j-tools-1.1.1.jar
/usr/share/java/mx4j-jmx.jar -> mx4j-jmx-1.1.1.jar
/usr/share/java/mx4j-tools.jar -> mx4j-tools-1.1.1.jar

Each Apache application/tool which require a jar could get,
the latest released which is symlinked to the latest released
or could use a 'named' version since you know that your application
still need an outdated lib.

A common repository is allways simpler to manage....