Henri Gomez wrote:

> That's why the idea of using a repository of jars is a good idea :
>
> /usr/share/java/log4j-1.1.3.jar
> /usr/share/java/log4j-1.2.7.jar
> /usr/share/java/log4j-1.2.8.jar
> /usr/share/java/log4j.jar -> log4-1.2.8.jar
>
> /usr/share/java/mx4j-jmx-1.1.1.jar
> /usr/share/java/mx4j-tools-1.1.1.jar
> /usr/share/java/mx4j-jmx.jar -> mx4j-jmx-1.1.1.jar
> /usr/share/java/mx4j-tools.jar -> mx4j-tools-1.1.1.jar
>
> Each Apache application/tool which require a jar could get,
> the latest released which is symlinked to the latest released
> or could use a 'named' version since you know that your application
> still need an outdated lib.
>
> A common repository is allways simpler to manage....

Henri, we are discussing different things here.
My proposal is only about distributing things at

    http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/tomcat/

What is in /usr/share/jave or C:\Java is a completely different problem.

Tomcat distribution ( as well as commons, etc ) should provide the "latest
stable jar" in each major supported branch - i.e. what we support and
recommend people to use.

Tomcat runtime is still using the common/lib, server/lib hierarchy -
or in embeded a single flat loader ( that will likely be the case in most
applications that embed tomcat ).

We should support an update mechansim where people can upgrade each jar to
the latest supported version - i.e. if a bug is found in jk2, we fix it and
release a new tomcat-jk2.jar ( tested against the other stable jars ) and
we recommend people to update only tomcat-jk2.jar. Same for every other
component and libraries. That will reduce the complexity of updating tomcat
- right now we have to deal with changes in all components of tomcat, and
an incremental release will deal with components one-by-one.

Again - I'm only discussing what we distribute, not how people can or should
use it. We clearly need the version in the filename ( and it really doesn't
matter where - directory or file - however given the current dist/ layout
we have to put it in file ). And we clearly need a very simple way to
get the latest stable. There are dozens of complex descriptor-based
solutions, and they can be used in addition to support various tools.
However it would be crazy to not use the symlink to allow the simple
<get> to work.