Remy Maucherat wrote:
Costin Manolache wrote:

Both difference and similarity :-).

Eclipse ( osgi actually ) has a similar flat loader implementation, but with finer control over what is exported/imported and pretty strong versioning. In addition osgi supports permissions on importing packages.
The reloading of modules is a bit more complicated than in jboss ( where you just change the jar ).
From tomcat point of view - the implementation should be very similar with jboss.

What I like is the standardized and simpler behavior of class loaders, with ability to reload and upgrade any module ( like jboss ).

This classloader looks like it does stuff :)
I recommend plugging it in as usual, with the Loader interface. Is that ok ?

It should be, plugging tomcat into anything is usually simple.

The current tomcat loading mechanism - with 2 hierarchies of class loaders and the delegation hacks, plus the very rigid isolation between webapps - is far from perfect.

Again, it's a matter of interpreting the servlet spec - they do have some clear requirements on class loading, but I can't find any place where they forbid using other standards. I know adding an optional OSGI manifest could be controversial - but the benefits will be quite big. It would mean you can finally have arbitrary multiple versions of the same package, or have fine control ( using java permissions ) over what packages can be imported in a webapp or plugin. And it would mean an unified model for both webapps and plugins ( connectors, etc ).

The other very interesting aspects of eclipse are the extension point and the ( extreme ) laziness in loading plugins.