Howdy,

>Synchronization does produce overhead, but it's what you *must* do if
>you will not re-write your servlets to no longer contain instance
>fields, *and* you wish to provide thread safety.

Well-put.  And you might be pleasantly surprised at how small the
overhead is.  Which is why I always suggest testing/benchmarking ;)

>There is a mode, and you have mentioned it before.. It's not a Tomcat
>mode, it's that "Single threaded" thing. (see, I can't even write it
>correctly, I don't even know what the exact name is).

It's SingleThreadModel, which is deprecated (with no replacement) in the
latest version of the servlet specification.  So even if you're not
using it already, don't start now.

>If the request that wants the 300 emails is taking "too long" (as
>decided by the container), then that user's request thread is
suspended,
>while the other user's requests are handled.  That's the whole point of
>multi-threading the servlet... (so that requests don't pile up)?

That's not done by tomcat: all requests have equal priority from the
Tomcat point of view.  But the OS and JVM implement preemptive
multitasking, and will split CPU time between the threads.  So you're
right Mike, if request A takes a very long time, and request B starts
after request A, request B does NOT have to wait until request A is done
to get CPU time.

Yoav Shapira

and notify the sender.  Thank you.