JohnSwenson;529843 Wrote:
> When you talk about a server it sounds like you are talking about a
> computer in the listening room that you interact directly with which
> either has an internal soundcard or USB DAC or equivalent to send audio
> to a stereo system.....In SB land there can also be a server, but you
> don't have to interact with it directly, it can sit in some other room,
> the basement etc.
I probably was unclear as to what my preference would be. Ultimately,
I'd like to have a mobile device (e.g., a remote) that is easy to
control (thus easy to see and manipulate), which I can use from any
location (e.g., a chair in the living room, in the kitchen, etc.)
Thus, the location of the server (whatever shape or form it takes),
becomes somewhat irrelevant. When creating or managing playlists or
making changes to my music library, I imagine that it would be easiest
to do that using my primary pc as I can use a full-size keyboard and
monitor.

> The Touch allows you to have a server in the player, but you don't have
> to run it that way, it still works very well with an external server.
Isn't there more than one version of the SB server software (a
'regular' version that cannot be run on the Touch and one called 'Tiny'
that can be run on a Touch, but which has less features)?

> If it were me I would get a Vortebox and a Touch and add players as
> desired. Once you start with the SB system they tend to proliferate!
>
> John S.
The Vortebox appliance sounds like a nice solution.  Would I just add
the Vortebox appliance to my router-based home wireless network and
control/access it via: 1) any pc that is also connected to the network;
2) a SB Touch (either the unit itself or the remote; 3) an I-Phone or
Droid running an app?  Finally, what server software do you recommend
if going the route of V-appliance + Touch?

Thanks for the suggestions,
Dino

--
sawdin