I have been using an attached hard drive for about a month now.  Every
weekend I add anywhere between 20 to 30 gb of music (50/50 mp3/FLAC) to
the 200gb already stored on it from my music collection on my NAS.  This
is the same music that has always worked with my Touch/PC/NAS
arrangement, except I deleted all the non-music files except for one
cover.jpg for each directory.  The attached drive uses external power
because the Touch doesn't supply enough power for it to work right (not
a big deal to me).

I really haven't witnessed any buffering problems or error messages.
So, I suggest, for quick and dirty ripping, rip to mp3 but if you want
to conserve music quality rip to FLAC using moderate compression.

--
carib