Hello all,

Many many thanks for all of your replies, I am fairly new to using FLAC
files and was unaware there were different levels of compression.

Is 5 an average level that won't put too much strain on the processor
of the Touch? Would a lower level give me a better chance of smooth
operation?

I have not noticed controls to adjust sleep times for external hard
drives I have used in the past, does anyone know if this is a standard
option for all external hard drives? I am wondering whether I will be
able to disable or adjust this on the Toshiba I have ordered.

Flac is definitely what I shall use given the advice received here and
I shall rip with EAC using MP3tag to tag the files. I won't bother with
any artwork and shall try and keep everything neat and simple to give
the Touch the best chance of smooth operation.

Fingers crossed it will work as the external USB drive option is the
most attractive feature and the main reason for this purchase.

Cheers.

--
woodnut