Phil Leigh;570356 Wrote:
>  Not quite sure what the OP is trying to achieve, because the Touch and
> the museum piece DAC are going to sound very different anyway,
> regardless of source file...

I guess I am not being clear enough.  With my SB3 I could play 24/192
and 24/96 flac in a truncated manner at 24/48 on my existing system. I
did not have to take the extra step to downsample the files via
software.  With the sb3 I was very satisfied with these recordings and
preferred my "museum piece" DAC to the sb3 internal DAC by a wide
margin.   I have not had the time to audition new dacs. Can the Touch
do the same thing as the sb3 with these high res files?  Apparently
not.

I can appreciate the disdain for "museum piece" components.  All my
components would fit that description.  2 ARC amps, ARC preamp,
Magnepan speakers, Accuphase transport, and Sonic Frontiers DAC. It
took me a long time to get the sound I like and it sounds great to me.
I go with my clients to CES and CEDIA while they try and audition the
latest and greatest in audio and go home each time appreciating and
enjoying my "museum pieces".

--
fairfax