andynormancx;574834 Wrote:
> How exactly do you think a magically bit of mains wire can improve the
> sound of your system ? What about all the non magic wire in your walls
> and all the way back to the power generating stations ?

While I agree that some of these prices are ridiculous, this argument
is not a very good one. This is assuming that the only thing a power
cord can affect is what is coming in from the wall into the device.
Frequently this is not the case.

I have done a lot of experimentation on this and find that a very large
percentage of sound changes due to power cords are the effect the cords
have on the transformer resonances in the box.

Almost all transformers have fairly high Q resonances in the ultrasonic
area, right where switching supplies and silicon diodes emit noise, thus
stimulating these resonances. This ultrasonic noise can wreak havoc in
many pieces of equipment.

The power cords are an important part in determining the resonance
frequency and Q of these resonances.

Not only does the result of these resonances cause problems in the
device the cord is plugged into, but it can also travel through the
cord into other boxes, stimulating THEIR transformer resonances. (this
is not wild fancy, I have measured this many times)

The net result is that a power cord CAN have a significant affect on
the sound of a stereo system. The problem is in correlating it to
anything. Since each system is different with different combinations of
transformers its very difficult to make recommendations as to which cord
design is going to be "better" than another. An expensive cord may very
well sound better than a cheap one, but it may also sound worse.

The best way to deal with this is to damp the transformer resonances in
the boxes themselves, its not hard to do, but hardly any manufacturers
DO it. I think primarily because nobody knows its a problem. Its a
significant affect that for some reason seems to have completely flown
under the radar of the audio design community.

So you can either damp the transformers in all your boxes, OR spend
time playing with different power cords until you find a combination
that reduces the resonance affects.

BTW these resonances are electrical, NOT mechanical, rubber washers and
the like isolate mechanical resonances not electrical ones.

So there you have it, I have measured significant differences in audio
systems due to power cords, but I have not been able to come up with
any decent correlations as to what type or design is any better at
reducing the noise.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson