adamdea;575632 Wrote:
> Absolutely
> 1 As a matter of interest how easy is it to damp the resonances in a
> transformer? It seems from what you say to be something we should all
> consider doing if possible. Would this apply to a TVC? I use a large c
> core tvc as my pre amp and am very intrigued.
> 2 Forgive me if I am flogging a dead horse, but it seems to me that
> properly analysed your conclusions about power cables do not lend
> support to the practice of spending large amounts of cash on power
> cables unless you have had the opportunity to try out (and presumably
> burn in if you buy into that idea) and compare a large number of
> different cables in your particular system. I am not even sure whether
> the results on 2 different examples of the same model would be
> consistent or the same identical component combined with different
> components or even the identical components plugged into a different
> electrical circuit.
> There would be no reason to suppose that any given cable would produce
> better results even if it was very expensive and even if recommended by
> other people.
> It seems to me that this conclusion does not support the subjective
> results expressed on hi fi forums which have a tendancy to display a
> high degree of correlation between observed improvements and money
> spent.

Damping the transformer takes a resistor and a capacitor in series,
connected across the secondary of the transformer. Theoretically you
should measure the transformer and compute the right value for that
particular transformer. I did that for every transformer in my house
and found that the values of 330 ohms and .022uf work well for almost
all of them. The resistor should be a carbon comp and the cap a
polypropelyne, I use orange drops. Thats it, its cheap and easy and can
give wonderful results.

Do NOT try this for signal carrying transformers. They have resonances
too, but dealing with them in such a way as to not muck up the audio
signal is not trivial. Most good audio designers will have already
dealt with the resonances in an audio transformer, its just power
transformers that seem to have been neglected.

Yes, my own personal opinion from my testing and listening is that
expense of a power cord has little correlation to any difference its
going to make in sound.

There IS another mechanism that concerns a power cord: RF resonances in
the cord itself.  That one is much harder to measure and is again
somewhat dependent on whats around it. This is a case where different
designs are better than others, but I have not been able to determine
whats what yet. This is frequently confused by the transformer
resonance issue: what gives best results with one, may not give best
results on the other. So the best bet is to damp ALL the transformers,
THEN you can try different power cords, they may still sound different,
but now you are probably hearing differences in RF performance.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson