JohnSwenson;575586 Wrote:
> My take is that I HAVE been able to hear differences in power cords, and
> I have been able to measure something which seems to have a decent
> correlation to those subjective observations (transformer ringing).
> What I have NOT been able to do is find any decent correlation with the
> price of said cords.
>
> In my own system I have properly damped all my transformers so the
> ringing doesn't happen at all. In this situation I have not been able
> to hear any differences in power cables, so I use cheap ones on
> everything.
>
> I personally prefer figuring out ways to completely eliminate something
> from the equations rather trying to figure out how to optimize it. Its
> usually ultimately a lot cheaper, although not nearly as much fun as
> "the quest for the ultimate power cord" or whatever.
>
> John S.

Absolutely
1 As a matter of itnerest how easy is it to damp the resonances in a
transformer? It seems from what you say to be something we should all
consdier doing if possible. Would this apply to a TVC? I use a large c
core tvc as my pre amp and am very intrigued.
2 Forgive me if I am flogging a dead horse, but it seems to me that
properly analysed your concusions about cables do not lend support to
the practice of spending large amounts of cash on cables unless you had
the opportunity to try out (and presumably burn in if you buy into that
idea) and compare a large number of different cables in your particular
system. I am not even sure whether the results on 2 different examples
of the same model would be consistent or the same identical component
combined with different components or even the deintical components
plugged into a different electrical circuit.
There would be no reason to suppose that any given cable would produce
better results even if it was very expensive and even if recommended by
other people.
It seems to me that this conclusion does not support the subjective
results expressed on hi fi forums which have a tendancy to dsplay a
high degree of correlation between observed improvements and money
spent.

--
adamdea