garym;614996 Wrote:
> the fact that it is 1 in and 4 out makes me nervous. most switches are
> just 4 or 5 with no distinction between in and out.  But even assuming
> it is a switch, try this experiment.
>
> Move the Touch next to your router (temporarily).  Plug it in to the
> router via ethernet and then go through the commands toby10 recommended
> to switch to ethernet:
>
> Touch > Settings > Advanced > Networking > Choose Network > Connect to
> Ethernet Network
>
> Does it get an address and connect in these circumstances. If it does
> then that means something is odd about your switch or hub or whatever
> it is.  Please try this and report back on what happens.
>
> p.s. The fact that all the now playing screen options are "lit" is no
> issue whatsoever. This just means that you can cycle through these
> options by tapping on the screen. (tap and you get art and info, tap
> again you get just art, tap again you get VU meter, etc.). This is NOT
> related to your issue (which I think is just poor WIFI connection).
> This is why getting this ethernet connection issue solved is primary.

Hi Gary,
I will do as you suggest but it may take a while because my router is
in one room and my switch and PC and Touch are in another so I need to
obtain a long-ish ethernet cable. ATM I have wired 4 rooms in my house
with Cat5e cable from the router so I need a switch to give me ethernet
connections to my stuff in the listening/viewing room. And 'Yes' it is a
5 port switch  -  the '1 in 4 out' comment was mine, thinking it would
help to explain what it does  -  none of the ports is marked either
'In' or 'Out'.
And I am aware that tapping on the choices in the 'Playing Now' screen
enables me to select or deselect each choice but no matter which choice
I go for, when I navigate back to the same screen ALL the choices are
'lit'. It may not be associated to the ethernet connection problem but
surely it is not as it should be? Me being a know nothing numptie I
have no idea whether the two things are related so I just thought I'd
throw it in to complete the picture.
Thanks again for your interest and help,
Dave.
Edit/PS.
I've just had a further thought: things have moved on since I wired up
4 rooms with Cat5e cable and one of them is no longer needed so I could
re-route that cable directly to the Touch. This would give it a direct
route back to the router which might help and shouldn't do any harm.
Dave.

--
DaveKen