t-chok;640226 Wrote:
> I originally had a SB Classic connected to my stereo system in my family
> room.  I then also bought a SB Touch for my kitchen and needed powered
> speakers.  After much researching on the web, I chose the Audioengine
> A2's.  I've had them up and running for about 9 months now, and I
> couldn't be happier with them. To me, they sound perfect.  My kitchen's
> size is 16x12 ft, and these are easily adequate to fill the room with
> clear sound.... and I have yet to push them up near max volume.
>
> One additional note related to my particular setup in the kitchen:  To
> reduce clutter on the kitchen counters, the best place for me to put
> the speakers was up on top of the kitchen cabinets, but that's at a
> height of 7 ft, and in addition there is crown molding on the top-front
> of the cabinets that extends upwards an extra 3" above the top of the
> cabinets, so if you can picture it, the speakers would have been on top
> of the cabinets but sunken down below the height of the crown molding,
> which would not sound good at all.  So I also bought a pair of the
> Audioengine ADS1 speaker stands.  These are actually intended for use
> on a desktop to point the speakers up, however I placed them up on top
> of a couple of wooden blocks on top of the cabinets with the stands
> angled in reverse so they are instead angled *down*.  So now, in the
> kitchen with these things up high and angled down into the middle of
> the room, the sound is really perfect, and for times when we have a lot
> of people in the kitchen, the sound travels better throughout the room
> this way.
>
> All this to say.... I haven't tried the other options you listed, but
> I'd highly recommend the A2's.
>
> Tim

I too run A2s in my kitchen with a Touch and have been pleased with
results.  It makes for  avery neat and minimally cluttered system.

Like your idea of using AD1 stands in reverse pointing downwards, as
mine are also currently at either end of 6ft high shelf, pointing at
head level when standing, but over head when sitting.  I been think
about getting better sound dispersion lower in the room, so will steal
your idea. Cheers.

I also run A5s in the bedroom with an SB Receiver. They have a far
better soundstage and resolution than the A2s, but of course cost that
bit more.

The A2s at £110 represent very good value imho.

--
turbot fiend

Touch>Classic>Duet>Receiver>Tranquil WHS>Netgear>Devolo Homeplugs+N
Extenders>Cyrus PreXPDqx>Dynaudio Focus 110a>Velodyne SPLR ultra
800>Audioengine A5>Audioengine A2>Squeezepad/iPad>HTC
Squeezecommander>Soundmatters FOXL