On Mar 29, 2009, at 3:07 PM, Jeff Hammel wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:18:30PM -0700, rupert.thurner wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 29, 6:24 pm, Jeff Hammel <jham...@openplans.org> wrote:
>>> The idea occured to me to setup a trac with bounties for plugin
>>> and other development work similar to RequestAHacks on trac-hacks
>>> but for paid work.  While I'd love to do this...probably not right
>>> now as I don't have much free development time (although I could
>>> be persuaded).
>>>
>>> I for one would be interested in paid plugin development,
>>> depending on what the plugin would do and if it matches my skill-
>>> set.  While I don't have much free time, Trac plugins are often
>>> pretty quick.  Please feel free to email me with any plugin needs
>>> you might have.  I'll say in passing that I don't have any
>>> interest in interfacing with proprietary software and that I only
>>> have linux machines at my disposal for development and testing.
>>>
>>> Maybe its worth setting up a list for people who are interested in
>>> seeking or doing paid development work, at least in the interim?
>>

>> it would be great to discuss it on this list, even the requirements,
>> to create synergies.
>>

>> rupert.
>
> Just to throw out some things that have been going around in my head:
>
> * auction style bidding and back-room discussions should be
> discouraged so that interested developers don't have any incentive
> not to Play Nice
>
> * a potential client should post the desired hack (or a roadmap, if
> there is more than one phase) with a time-frame and the amount they
> are willing to pay.  Both of these can be negotiable, but some
> ranges would be nice so that the desired hacks could be easily
> searched
>
> * once a client approves a developer for work on a project, the
> plugin is no longer open for others to work on (common sense, I
> know, just feel the need to say it)
>
> * is the resulting work open source?  I would heartily say "yes",
> but I know there are different opinions on the matter.  As far as
> I'm concerned, the client is paying for a solution to a problem, not
> for the software license.  If it is useful to others, it should be
> publically available for the good of the Trac community
>
> * the spec should be as precise as possible, though obviously
> several passes at discussion will probably usually be necessary to
> refine what exactly are the deliverables
>
> * needless to say, any sort of infrastructure is a means of
> connecting client and developer and it is up to THEM (not to this
> list, not to as-yet-nonexistant web site, etc) to ensure the
> contract is fulfilled.  In other words, no real legal protections
> are given, though of course if someone faults another person then
> the victim will probably want to note this in public forum.
>
> * is post-install support required? can clients pay for installation/
> setup work?  How many bugs and support hours are asked per hack?
> What quality assurance is required?

> [...]

My general thoughts:
1. Bounty-based only, no bidding.
2. Must state desired license up-front. FOSS is preferred, but not
required.
3. Support is separate, ticket bounties are for the request only.
4. Neither the Trac nor Trac-Hacks team will involve themselves in
disputes. Any deal is made between the two parties only.

--Noah