On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 02:36:34AM +0200, Lars Kruse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1) the current implementation does not work without the "--work-tree"
> parameter
> (e.g. with the two patches that were sent by Miklos (30.6.2008))
>
> 2) git v1.5.3 (or higher) behaves as expected -> it is specified/documented to
> need both "--git-dir" and "--work-tree" for any operation outside of the
> current directory
>
> 3) for git v1.5.2 (and before) we have to change to the (base of the?) local
> git
> repository before executing git

Right. the work-tree/git-dir switches allow out-of-tree git commands
which I did not need when I initially did Git support, and unfortunately
I forgot about them.

> C)
> - applying Miklos patches to the current git support
> - ignoring incompatibility with git<=1.5.2

I think the situation where compabitility with git<=1.5.2 makes sense is
Debian stable. It has Pootle 0.10.1. It just does not have Git support.
If a sysadmin decides to install newer a never (it was called
unofficial) version of Pootle, then I think it is not that hard to
install a newer version of Git as well.

I think if we want to support Debian stable, then we have to support
1.4.4.4, since that's the official version Debian comes with. There are
major changes between 1.4.x and 1.5.x, and - to be honest - I'm not too
motivated to write code for <1.5.x.

So I would vote for C).

Just my two cents.