Well, the optimal solution would be to get a USB WiFi adapter, such as the one sold at http://libre.thinkpenguin.com. Just be straight with your friend: tell him that the manufacturer of the WiFi card decided not to properly support free systems with it. Just make sure he understands it's the fault of the WiFi card and its manufacturer, not GNU/Linux. You might also do well to suggest buying his next computer (when it comes time for a new one) at Think Penguin, since those are always designed to work well with free software.