Make sure you blame the culprit responsible here: Intel & Acer.

Trisquel and the free software community are not getting the cooperation needed to support this intel wifi card. If you buy hardware less hostile to free software there isn't likely to be a problem.

The good news is you can replace the wifi card in this laptop with one that is freedom friendly. Acer is a better choice for hardware than a lot of other names out there.

Besides the USB G adapter option there is also a mini pci card option most likely. You can replace the card inside the laptop. It looks like it should be an easy thing to do. There appears to be one screw holding on a cover on the bottom of this laptop which contains the mini pci card. I don't believe acer has digital restrictions on any of its laptops in regards to the mini pci slot.

That said it appears either of the following two cards we sell should be compatible:

Penguin Wireless G Mini PCI for GNU / Linux

And this would probably also work (it would be an upgrade on what is in the system now):

Penguin Wireless N Mini PCI for GNU / Linux