"In any case I doubt facebook even releases the source of all the code you run through their server. Much less give you the ability to copy or modify it. I don't see how this could respect your freedom. Without further explanation I would say it does not."

This is true for most of the sites of the www and no problem if we're talking about our freedom. You deserve control over *your* computer, not over *their* computer. Even if the code of a website is released as free software we can never be sure if they're really running this code and not a different one.