I have seen the pages you referred to. But that doesn't invalidate the older link Alberto has given. The difference is that, the pages you refer deal with distributions as a whole, whereas the older link deals specifically with the main repository of Debian. This is precisely why I wished for a layered approach by FSDG to solve these kind of ambiguities. FSF may still endorse or reject distributions as a whole (thus excluding Debian), but at the same time they can also be explicit about the individual repositories. They already acknowledged Debian/main as free, but there's no explicit, direct mention of it in related pages, which creates ambiguity.

As for "dropping the name", :) well let us say being a true Debian fork. Not personalizing Trisquel doesn't cause it to lose its personality, because its true personality lies in its liberty, not in its looks.