Regarding whether the work of software liberation could as well be done in Debian, since it's already the upstream:

With upstream, I mean primarily the developer, secondarily Debian. There are things within Debian sphere, and those that are beyond it.

- Take IceCat for instance - it's not in Debian.
- Or another package where upstream (the developer) won't accept Trisquel modifications. - Or another package where some non-free additions are introduced by Debian itself. - Or another package where some Trisquel modifications are against some Debian policy.

In such cases the freed package will not be in Debian/main, which means it will have to be kept and maintained separately in Trisquel private repository.

Working with Debian as the upstream may be more convenient where it is possible. In other cases independent action may be necessary. So, a workgroup dedicated to libre OS is better off as an independent distribution, I think.