David:
Possibly you have misunderstood what Paul is saying here?
The commentaries of both Matthew Henry and John MacArthur say, as Paul says,
"The  baptism spoken of in this verse is not with water.  The outward
ceremony can only remove dirt from the external parts of the flesh.  The
baptism spoken of here is a figurative immersion into Christ that results in
a good conscience."  We know the ark saved Noah from God's judgment during
the flood, and that we are more eternally secure being baptized into Christ
than Noah was temporarily secure riding out the flood in the ark.  We can
have a good conscience because we have died to self and now live for Him.
Water baptism simply testifies to what has happened within us spiritually.
It is the first step we take as we go into all the world.

The Scriptures teach that baptism saves us.  That's hard for most
Protestants to swallow, but that is what the Scriptures teach.  What we
need to do is understand what the Bible means by this teaching, not deny
that the Bible teaches it.

... even BAPTISM DOTH ALSO NOW SAVE US (not the putting
away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good
conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus
Christ:  (1 Peter 3:21 KJV)

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.