DAVEH:  Terry........While searching my old posts to respond to Dean, I discovered that I had previously posted a reply to your below question.  My latest post is in RED.........  My previous post to you of May 15 of this year is in BLUE...........

Terry Clifton wrote:

DAVEH:  While baptism in itself will not save anybody, I firmly believe without baptism, one cannot be saved.  (Mk 16:16 and Jn 3:5)C'mon Dave:Read Luke.  Start at 19:2 and read down to 19:9.  You will find a little fellow that was saved with no mention of baptism.  Same with the thief on the cross.  Baptism is an act of obedience that any true Christian will want to perform as soon as he or she is saved, but to make it a requirement for salvation prior to salvation would be saying you are saved by your own works rather than showing that you are the recipient of God's mercy.Keep searching, my friend.  The truth is in the Book.
DAVEH:  Terry......with all due respect, I quoted you the truth about the thief on the cross some 6 months ago.  At that time you did not indicate that I was wrong with my logical explanation, but you are not repeating the same argument.  So, I will quote what I said to you before.  If you feel my explanation is wrong, please tell me where I've misunderstood what the Bible said about it.......

+++++++++++

Terry Clifton wrote:

> Dave H:
>
> The verses you quote do indeed speak of water baptism.  Baptism is an act of
> obedience that is awfully hard to perform without water.  As to whether you
> can be saved without it, I suggest you read about zaccheus

DAVEH:  Do you suppose the 'salvation' Jesus referred to coming to Zacchaeus' house (Lk 19:9)  might refer to the author of salvation (Jesus) abiding at his house (Lk 19:5)?  Furthermore, that Zacchaeus had sufficient faith to be a 'son of Abraham' might suggest that he had enough faith to be baptized, even though it is not mentioned by Luke.  I would be most surprised if Jesus (who commanded baptism) would not think to mention it to Zacchaeus.  That it is not specifically mentioned by Luke does not mean that it did not transpire.

> and the thief on
> the cross, both of which would seem to punch holes in your argument,

DAVEH:  I've discussed this in TT several times before, Terry.  But it was prior to your joining, so I'll happily discuss it with you too.

> receiving salvation

DAVEH:  You are reading into Scripture what is not there, Terry.  What makes you think the thief was saved?  While no claim of salvation is made by Scripture, many folks make that mistaken assumption based on the comment that Jesus made that he (Jesus) would see him (the thief) in paradise.

    Contrary to popular opinion Terry, paradise is not a part of heaven, but rather a part of the spirit world.  One does not enter heaven until after the judgment, which for most will happen sometime in the future.

    The reason we know the thief did not go directly to heaven is
because Jesus told him........

"........Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in
paradise."  (Lk 23:43)

..........Now, where did Jesus go that day (which was Friday)?  We know
it was not heaven, because 2 days later he said to
Mary........

"......Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father:......"  (Jn
20:17)

.......So Terry, since Jesus had not yet returned to his Father until
Sunday (after he met Mary), then it follows that he spent the
previous day or so NOT in heaven.  That brings up the question of where
was he?  I have quoted this verse before, but will do so
again.......

"For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust,
that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh,
but quickened by the Spirit:  By which also he went and preached unto
the spirits in prison; Which sometime were disobedient, when
once the long-suffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark
was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved
by water."  (1Pet 3:18-20)

.......And, what was he doing there?........

"For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead,
that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but
live according to God in the spirit."  (1Pet 4:6)

........So, it seems reasonable to conclude that paradise is not in
heaven, but a part (with spirit prison) of the spirit world where
Jesus taught the gospel to those who had not yet heard it.  This gives
evidence of several things.....

1.  Spirits exist after death and prior to being resurrected.

2.  The gospel can be taught to those who have previously died.

3.  Those spirits have free agency to accept the gospel.

4.  The reason the gospel is taught in the spirit world, is that the
spirits who have not had the opportunity to hear the gospel while
alive would hear it in the spirit world so that they could be judged as
though they were still in the flesh, but return to heaven.

5.  The spirit world is comprised of a paradise and a spirit prison.

6.  And finally, the thief was not necessarily "saved" merely because Jesus said he would meet him in paradise.

> with no mention of even a drop of water.

DAVEH:  Perhaps he was one of those who were baptized for the dead as mentioned by Paul in 1Cor 15:29!   :-)

.........So Terry, do you agree with my above explanation of why you misunderstand the perceived salvation of the thief?

 Terry

--
Dave Hansen